Cub Scout Pack 242
The Cubanapolis is a fun family event where the boys, prior to race day and with their parent’s assistance, make a "cardboard race car" that they can wear and run with. On race day, each Den will race separately to determine a "fastest racer." The emphasis on this event is family fun and participation, therefore no trophies are awarded; instead the Scouts will race for some fun prizes.
- Body of car must be constructed of cardboard. Tape, tinfoil, paint, construction paper, stickers and paper plates can also be used for decoration.
- Use a box that fits around the boy without being either too snug or too loose.
- No metal or glass materials may be used.
- No items can be hanging or dragging behind a car
- For safety reasons, cars should not have a ‘windshield’
- All cars should have the boy’s assigned number prominently displayed. It will be the same number that was used at the Pinewood Derby.
Each race will consist of 4 laps
Each racer will need a 2 person pit crew
Each racer should bring 3 things: a small towel or washcloth, a helmet (bike or ski helmet), and gym-appropriate (no black soles) shoes. A few spare helmets may be available, but each boy should come prepared.
Boys run first lap, then come into the pits and sit in their pit crew’s chair
Pit Crew will ‘clean the windshield’ by wiping the boys face with a damp towel
Boys run second lap, then come into the pits again and sit in their pit crew’s chair
Boy ‘refuels’ by drinking a cup of water handed to him by a pit crew member. BOY MUST DRINK ALL OF THE WATER BY HIMSELF.
Boys run third lap, then come into the pits again and sit in their pit crew’s chair
Pit Crew ‘changes’ tires’ by tying a ribbon IN A BOW around each ankle and wrist
Boys run fourth and final lap and cross finish line
Safety and Race Rules:
- Each boy MUST wear a helmet while racing
- Each boy MUST wear gym-appropriate shoes (non-black soles) to run in the race.
- Each boy MUST sit in a chair for each pit stop
- Pit Crews MUST NOT block the pit entrance or exit in any way
- Boys with Asthma or other breathing or health-related problems should think twice before participating in this event and MUST obtain the approval of a parent or legal guardian in order to participate.